Friday 1 June 2012

Wildlife in the city.

We live in a coastal suburb and I am amazed at the wildlife that we do see occasionally around us.

I went for a walk this morning ( I usually walk in the evenings, but rain has been predicted for today and it was already rather overcast) and was pleasantly surprised by this sight just a few feet from where  I was walking. I went home to get my camera.
                                                          
Seal lying on it's back


Apparently it was sighted at the same area last week-- but I had not seen it , and there it was again today. My neighbour, who loves fishing in the bay from his kayak, tells me that there has been a lone seal around for years. I wonder if this is the same one.


Whilst I had my camera with me, I spotted a flock of seagulls and it was interesting to see a few of them just standing there on 1 leg!

Seal gulls at the beach



This is the pool that we walk down to for a swim in summer--- just a few minutes walk from home.



As you can see, the ocean is very flat today, and it is very overcast. In summer, this is a very popular spot with swimmers.

At this time of year, we also often see pods of dolphins.  There was a pod swimming in the ocean about 2 weeks ago.
The whales migrate up to the Queensland coast and they start now and will peak in about 2-3 weeks. They are too far out to sea to spot them from here, but occasionally, one will come in close.  If we drive to an area about 20mins away, we can see them from the cliff tops.



Kookaburra



This kookaburra was sitting in the jacaranda tree just outside the bedroom window and was watching me make the bed. It continued sitting there quite happily and let me take it's photo.

By the way, whilst I was browsing the different  craft blogs, I came across Hanne's blog and the "Tour de Fibre 2012". If you want to join in, go onto Hanne's blog and find out more at www.hannequilt.blogspot.com  I thought that I would join in and it will help me concentrate on getting through my SKOW project and not get side tracked on other things.

The rain has arrived and I am glad I walked this morning. It looks like it is set to stay for awhile.

Have a lovely weekend.














3 comments:

Love Bears All Things said...

How lovely to live near the coast and be able to walk beside the water any time, close to home....I enjoyed seeing all the wildlife...
Mama Bear

Tatkis said...

Wow, you are surrounded by wild nature! It should be wonderful to live near the sea.
We mostly see some birds (loud ones ;) ) and cats.

Hugs,
Tatyana

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Hi Yvonne...I think I have the right Yvonne...I met you at the Quilt show in Sydney at Anni's stand where you showed me Anni's new bundle of fabric...And yes I did end up buying it and loving....Thank you so much! It was a wonderful show and great to meet a lot of bloggers! Dzintra